Red Dirt Farm and Studio

growing flowers dancing with chickens painting joy

Hi Y’all.  Big red trucks rumbled up to the Cottage on a cold windy day.  We were so excited to see them, that we hardly minded the cold.

But first, let me tell you as I type this we have the loudest most annoying, house shaking and exciting things happening at the Cottage today.  I can’t wait to share with you later.

Back to the big red trucks.

At long last our wait for the power company to install a new pole, transformer, and move the old powerline, as well as hook up the new underground wire, had arrived!

IMG_2379-1

The whole Cottage gang gathered around to watch.  It was so cold out, thank goodness there was plenty of  sunshine.  The electricity to our house had to be shut off for several hours while they did all the work.

IMG_2439-1

The first step was to unhook the live wire. The worker is wearing all kinds of safety gear to protect himself, in the event god forbid, that something should go wrong and a live wire make contact.

IMG_2356-1

Peanut held the new pole in place until they were ready to install it.

On the other side, Boo held the truck in place so it wouldn’t tip over.

IMG_2484-1

IMG_2565-1

IMG_2568-1

IMG_2608-1

IMG_2622-1

There she is, new pole and transformer.  You may think how boring, but all these details are so important and necessary for our whole house renovation.

Each big or small step gets us a little further along in our process and a bit closer to realizing our dream.

Since y’all been so kind to sit through the pole raisin’ portion.  I thought I’d share a big reveal.

I’ve teased with a few shots here and there of the new addition, but I haven’t shown the whole addition.

Put on your snow boots and join me for a look back from the past few weeks.

IMG_0637-1

Front elevation.

IMG_0623-1

IMG_0656-1

End elevation.

IMG_1363-1

Back elevation.

IMG_2178-1

Everybody likes to sit on the back porch.

IMG_1596-1

The lower porch.

IMG_1507-1

IMG_1502-1

In the next renovation update, I’ll share the shiniest, red – wow, I’m so relieved it’s done, now it really looks like an old farmhouse – change.

Hope y’all will come back to see next time.  Have a great day.

Thank you for being here today.

xo kim

8 thoughts on “Cottage farmhouse renovation update February 2016

1. Hooray, the electric pole and transformer are in! That is huge. Love the elevations~can’t wait to see it all painted.

2. Lisa says:

Wow, that is a huge endeavor! Thank you for showing the elevation pics. I’m glad the whole family is chipping in to help on the labor 😉

3. Caroline says:

Love the animals helping out and also the back porch additions. Hope to see it in person soon! 🙂

4. Southernruralroute.wordpress.com says:

Heavens to Betsy, the room addition is bigger than the original house! The dogs were helping, what were YOU doing? Can’t wait for the next installment. My brother has been at his renovations to Poppie’s house for 2 weeks now. He plans a room addition, too, but it will be much smaller.

5. artsychicksw says:

Looks fabulous so far! It’s all so exciting when things start coming together and get closer to being done. Thanks for the updates.

1. Anonymous says:

Wow! It is going to be so lovely, Kim!

6. Debra says:

So good to be back here at your blog and see all the stuff going on! I think the dogs did the best job of helping things move smoothly! And the peacocks-oh sigh-I know they can probably be annoying at times-but I sure would love them hanging out here….
    Love ya.

7. Sarah says:

Those are wonderful pictures! The house seems to be moving forward so quickly! Sarahx

Comments are closed.

robynsewsthisandthat

This is where I share my passions

Red Dirt Farm and Studio

growing flowers dancing with chickens painting joy

Inkspeare

Maria Antonia Diaz

Fahrusha's Weblog

Thoughts on a metaphysical journey, and interesting news items

Kirsten Bett

all things poetry

Lavender & Leather

Tiny house love

Tiny Potager

Artist inspired by my garden, the seasons, folklore and fairytales

Inner Journey Events Blog

Reflections on my journey with Mama Earth and Grandmother Moon

Starflower Moon

Living the witchy life in rural Nova Scotia

Rough Draft

by KT Workman

Dreams and Adventures at Cosy Cottage

One woman's quest for the good life in a little patch of suburbia

Rambling in the Garden

.....and nurturing my soul

acoastalplot

gardening and family life by the sea

Day by Day the Farm Girl Way...

Simple life on a little piece of land.

A Look At Yesterday

Appreciating the Moments and Navigating though life with joy!

thehomeplaceweb

Drop in and stay awhile

ABOUTGARDEN

Garden, flowers, craft, pleasure and more...

Don't Eat It! Soap and Skin Care

Handcrafted Soap, Bee Keeping, Farming and More

Lavender Moon: Artist, Poet and Lover of Nature

My response to my love of nature, my garden and local walks with my dogs.

Tony Tomeo

Horticulturist, Arborist and Garden Columnist

WALKIN', WRITIN', WIT & WHIMSY

Strolling around SE Michigan & sending joy in the journey.

Country Garden UK

Happy Healthy Creative

Crafty Tokyo Mama II

Sewing and exploring in Kyoto

Going to Seed in Zones 5b-6a

The adventures of Southern gardeners starting over in New England

Wild Wyoming Woman

the news from Dry Creek . . .

Cottontail Farm

growing flowers dancing with chickens painting joy

No Harm In Farmin

Homesteading for the Hungry

To Create Sunshine

Nature 🍃 Gardens 🍃 Flowers 🍃 Wanderings

Dream Valley Farmstead

journal of a coupla' fair-weather farmsteaders

pennyrossburk

The Inquisitive Makeup Artist and I have questions!

The Blue Mug