Red Dirt Farm and Studio

growing flowers dancing with chickens painting joy

Time has flown by since we last visited.

peafowl and roses

This is my most red,white and blue photo I could come up with today – for those of you that join me in celebrating Independence Day.

We (that’s the royal we) have taken on the role of general contractor on our farmhouse renovation.  It is at best a slow, tedious task with glimpses of good and excitement with anticipation of what will be.  The next big phase should take place this coming week.  The carpenters will be here installing the siding.  The Cottage men have been working for weeks, priming all the siding before it goes up – a monumental task at best.

Today it is pouring rain and Mr. Cottage is still at it steady working in the rain.  I’ve spent countless hours studying paint chips and trying to decide on the exact colors I want for the exterior.  I have paint charts taped all over the outside of the house, so I can view them in the different light and at different times of the day.  One minute I’ll pick a combination and think it is the one, a few days later I wonder what was I thinking?  The color combination will be blues and greens, of the coastal nature.  My inspiration comes from fabric of curtains I sewed for our living room.  Have I  mentioned how much we love our new bright red roof?  We get a lot of compliments on it.  However it does not work with the current coral colored siding and besides, it’s time for a change.

painting

painting

painting 2

painting

TC is content to sit on the porch, groom himself and supervise all activities.

tc on the porch

The Littles, or Girly Girls or Baby Chicks we call them all that and more…  are growing like crazy, no eggs yet, too soon.  I’m anxiously awaiting my first blue egg.

chicks on the feeder

Sadly, we have lost several of our older hens.  Sooner or later it was bound to happen, it is part of allowing our chickens to free range.  A fox killed and injured our flock.  Then we lost our first and my favorite hen, Ethel to illness.  And for whatever reason, Betty ran away from home.  Why do chickens run away from home?  Needless to say, I’m trying to run a business selling eggs and this has put a crunch on the production and broken my heart.  Sigh.

The peafowl have turned into little terrors and I have to juggle having them free range and the chickens at different times because they chase the chickens.  And the cats.  And the dogs.  And me.  And don’t even think about pulling up onto our property without them screaming bloody murder.

Anyway, that’s a little of what has been happening around here lately.  I hope you all are well.

kim

11 thoughts on “Cottage Farmhouse July update

1. Southernruralroute.wordpress.com says:

Yes, yes, yes! I LOVE that red roof. Have you thought about a red, white and blue color scheme?

1. Kim says:

Yes, Miss Linda – I have, and have not ruled that out. Hey can you help me? I used to get all my wordpress blogs delivered to my email. I don’t any more and I am missing out on blogs. I don’t use the reader cause I don’t think about it often enough. I’ve tried resetting everything I know to set. Any advice?

Liked by 1 person

1. Southernruralroute.wordpress.com says:

Kimmie – I use the reader because it is just THERE when I log on. I do all of my subscribing through the reader, too. My best advice would be to go to the blogs you want to follow and re-subscribe because something happened to unsubscribe you.

2. Kim says:

Thanks for advice I’ve tried all that unsubscribe re-subscribe several times. I’m so techno challenged.

2. Lisa says:

I can’t wait to see what you decide on! xoxo

1. Kim says:

Hi Lisa – I keep changing my mind…

3. Caroline says:

Happy belated 4th! I know it will look great and look forward to seeing it 🙂

1. Kim says:

Hi Caroline – happy 4th to you too. Moving slowly on our progress, but still moving. 🙂

4. Debra says:

Your roof is gorgeous! I know you’ll come up with a beautiful combination for colors-that’s one of your talents. I’m sad to hear about your chickens passing away and getting sick….I had no idea pea fowl were so devilish. They need obedience classes!

1. Kim says:

Hi Debra – thank you we kinda like that red roof too! Chicken land isn’t doing so well these days, I’ve got another sick hen – sister to the one I lost to illness. Obedience class indeed! 🙂 love and hugs to you. xo

5. Hi Kim,
    I got unsubscribed too, and am still not getting some of my fav’s in my inbox. Like you, I seldom remember to visit the reader.
    I love the red roof. I’m thinking purple and blue with a splash of orange… 🙂
    Can’t wait for the blue eggs! Don’t know why a chicken would run away. I tried having a free-range turtle in my pond, all surrounded by native vegetation, but it ran away too. Sad because there is nothing but pavement beyond my yard but there it is.

Comments are closed.

robynsewsthisandthat

This is where I share my passions

Red Dirt Farm and Studio

growing flowers dancing with chickens painting joy

Inkspeare

Maria Antonia Diaz

Fahrusha's Weblog

Thoughts on a metaphysical journey, and interesting news items

Kirsten Bett

all things poetry

Lavender & Leather

Tiny house love

Tiny Potager

Artist inspired by my garden, the seasons, folklore and fairytales

Inner Journey Events Blog

Reflections on my journey with Mama Earth and Grandmother Moon

Starflower Moon

Living the witchy life in rural Nova Scotia

Rough Draft

by KT Workman

Dreams and Adventures at Cosy Cottage

One woman's quest for the good life in a little patch of suburbia

Rambling in the Garden

.....and nurturing my soul

acoastalplot

gardening and family life by the sea

Day by Day the Farm Girl Way...

Simple life on a little piece of land.

A Look At Yesterday

Appreciating the Moments and Navigating though life with joy!

thehomeplaceweb

Drop in and stay awhile

ABOUTGARDEN

Garden, flowers, craft, pleasure and more...

Don't Eat It! Soap and Skin Care

Handcrafted Soap, Bee Keeping, Farming and More

Lavender Moon: Artist, Poet and Lover of Nature

My response to my love of nature, my garden and local walks with my dogs.

Tony Tomeo

Horticulturist, Arborist and Garden Columnist

WALKIN', WRITIN', WIT & WHIMSY

Strolling around SE Michigan & sending joy in the journey.

Country Garden UK

Happy Healthy Creative

Crafty Tokyo Mama II

Sewing and exploring in Kyoto

Going to Seed in Zones 5b-6a

The adventures of Southern gardeners starting over in New England

Wild Wyoming Woman

the news from Dry Creek . . .

Cottontail Farm

growing flowers dancing with chickens painting joy

No Harm In Farmin

Homesteading for the Hungry

To Create Sunshine

Nature 🍃 Gardens 🍃 Flowers 🍃 Wanderings

Dream Valley Farmstead

journal of a coupla' fair-weather farmsteaders

pennyrossburk

The Inquisitive Makeup Artist and I have questions!

The Blue Mug