The carpenters have finished their part of the exterior work on our cottage farmhouse renovation. We are officially under roof.
That’s a big hallelujah-Whoot Whoot!!
But oh so far from being finished.
All the siding and exterior trim work have been completed. Well, except for some detail work. I’m looking for some vintage corbels that I want to add to the back porches to give it that old farmhouse character. I haven’t found any that I was willing to pay the price, so the search is still on.
The many delays we have experienced have given us the opportunity to rethink our interior space. We (that’s the royal we) because it really is Mr. Cottage doing the physical work. Have moved a few doorways more than once and now we are moving walls too. So, even though the delays have been very frustrating; in the end, I think we will be happy with the changes that have been and will be made.
For now, this is what the inside looks like – yes a peacock house. The drywall is not up. Mr. Cottage and our friend Farmgirl have done most of the electrical work.
Mr. Cottage has installed the HVAC system. We will finally have central heating and cooling after all these years. We went last winter without heat upstairs and I don’t want to go another winter without. As time allows Mr. Cottage works on moving walls and doorways, electrical and other details. It is a slow process and certainly if money were no issue we would have professionals come in and do it and be done.
Another project that is almost completed is our third – and most likely – last chicken coop.
Given that this project took about 24 years complete, I guess our house renovation isn’t all that slow going, after all.
When we moved here those many years ago, I immediately started dreaming of turning this building into a chicken coop. Instead, we built two other coops, plus the peafowl aviary. As our flock grew, it was time for more space.
I shared this photo back in winter with you guys and told you I hoped to make it the next coop.
Assbackwards, the run was built and completed in the spring. The 20 younger chicks have called this home all summer. Now that they are laying, it was time for the house to be completed, and nesting areas set-up.
Because the building was full to the brim with junk – yes I know this photo looks like a scene from hoarders – please don’t report me.
We had to go through and clean out the TWENTY-FOUR years of accumulation in this building before it could be turned into the coop of my dreams. It took all summer.
I leave you with this awful scene and tell you, yes the inside is all cleaned out and is officially a hen-house. I will share the hen-house of my dreams, next time.
Thanks for being here today.
P.S. – I want to welcome and thank new readers to this blog, I hope you will join the conversation.