Red Dirt Farm

Small Farm Living Photos and Stories

Dried lambs ears and lavender, my herbal version of a smudge stick. I experimented last summer with making these.  I used a lot of the lamb’s ear in place of white sage, which is traditionally used in smudge sticks, we do not, however, grow that here.  Lavender and rosemary and roses are some of my other favorite flowers and herbs to use.

I’m planning to make more of these dried lovelies.

They speak to my heart.

***********************************************************************************

Photo Journal for this week:

From smudge sticks to smudgy window photos. Because these little fellows insist on pressing their little paws and noses on the window.

Suzy scissors beak – it’s a birth deformity.  She handles is surprisingly well.

Nutmeg – she is stunningly beautiful and quite shy and madly in love with Rooster Cogburn, below.

The weather continues to be quite weird for winter, mild with a little shot of cold again this week.  Way too much rain. Enough already just bring on spring!

How about in your neck of the woods?  Are you ready for spring?

Small signs that it is around the corner.

Bluebirds are building their first nest of the season.  Daffodils are sprouting and flowering quince is pink and full. Mr. Red Dirt purchased blueberries and hydrangea on a recent trip to the feed store.  He potted them up so they would get a good head start, and we have them inside for protection.  It was down in the teens again this past week.  Winter isn’t quite ready to let go just yet.

A gathering of chickens.

Even with so many the loss of one is felt so strongly and isn’t taken lightly.

I can hardly stand to post this last photo I took of Gracie and her baby chick.

The chick is gone.

A preditor.

Our hearts are broken.

I’m taking an on-line class, which is quite consuming, but enjoyable.  I also took a business class this week with the local chamber of commerce. I arrived a day early.  Oh crap.  The next day I went again.  It feels good to be learning new things and to have the support of folks that want to see me succeed with my little farm business.

Soon, Mr. Red Dirt and I will be heading to a workshop on growing mushrooms.  A refresher course, as Mr. Red Dirt used to grow mushrooms years ago.  Perhaps we will be adding them to our farmstand produce one day in the future.

Flowers from my love gathered in a vintage tureen that belonged to my mom.

It was that morning of my birthday and I sat down with my cup of coffee and looked up to see the most special of surprises hanging on the wall.  A pair of birds drawn by a local artist.  Work that I have been admiring, the husband surprised me with their purchase.  I could hardly stand it.  Aren’t they the sweetest?  And yes, I know he is too.

A dear friend took me to lunch for my birthday.  It was so lovely and charming in a cozy French restaurant.  A crackling fire, sparkling chandelier, and head swimming french wine.  Salmon in a buerre blanc sauce, cheese puffs that floated on air.  Chocolate mousse and creme brulee put us over the top. Ooo la la!

Blessed with this friend.

All in all a week filled with lots of feels.

Until next time,

xo, Kim

8 thoughts on “a week full of feels

1. Debra says:

My heart goes out to you about Gracie’s chick.
    Just know this: your blog and your photos brought me such joy this morning. I needed it. Thank you dear one.

1. Ah Debra – thank you. Such a terrible sad thing. Gracie keeps running up to me with those eyes asking where is baby? Ugh I hate this part. I’m sending you hugs and hoping all is okay. xo kim

2. ruthsoaper says:

Losing a chick or chicken to a predator just sucks!!! But we feel that the alternative, having to confine them to keep them safe, would suck even more so while we are sad when it happens we just keep that in mind.
    I hope your mushroom growing goes well. Would love to hear more about it.
    Happy belated birthday. It sound like it was a special day for you.

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi Ruth I couldn’t agree with you more, we know the risk we take letting them free range, but feel in the long run it is best for their over all health. We will be doing logs for shitake and oyster. Shitake is what Charles grew before, so it is fun to try the oyster. I’ll post as we progress or hopefully progress. Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was quite lovely. xo kim

Liked by 1 person

3. KT Workman says:

My dad’s recliner sat next to a window. Squirrels came to the window to eat the nuts he placed there for them. He and my mom both enjoyed their antics.
    I enjoyed reading your post, and all the pics of your girls. I didn’t realize you had such a big flock!

4. lindasschaub says:

You two are so industrious … the Spring touches are so nice and getting the head start on hydrangeas and blueberries is smart; in a few months you’ll regale us with photos of beautiful blooms and blueberries in a vintage bowl. Mr. Red Dirt is so thoughtful and a romantic – I love how you you looked up and there was your birthday present on the wall; that touched my heart and what beautiful work from the local artist. Of course I loved the squirrel with his paw over his heart – I always wonder why they do that, especially the gray squirrels. I like the idea of pressing noses, which look like buttons, on the glass They are so sweet … and sweet is gone, Gracie’s chick. It must break your heart to lose the chick and see Gracie looking at you wondering what happened. I like the Springtime touches in this post and wish we were seeing the same. Take care Kim.

5. Debbie says:

Your flock is gorgeous. Kim! (As is Nutmeg, and love that she is madly in love : ) But so very sad about Gracie’s baby… this is the hardest part of all. Poor Gracie looking for her baby, watching this is more heartbreak… yet free range is the healthiest and they are the happiest. Love your photos… they capture every detail and each one tells a story of spring arriving. So glad your bday was lovely and that you will have a new venture with mushrooms! Your bday gifts are beyond sweet.. birds are very-very-special.

Looking forward to more Spring in my inbox (we don’t have that season in FL as you know : ) xo

6. Annie says:

Busy times at Red Dirt Cottage! Good for you to enroll in a business class… and what beautiful babies Nutmeg and Rooster Cogburn would produce. Fingers crossed…

Say hello and share your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s