Red Dirt Farm and Studio

Small Farm Living Art, Photos and Stories

Farmers have been gardening by moon phases dating back to ancient times. I too follow this practice. For me, it makes me feel more connected to the earth and the rhythms of nature.

The 23rd was a new moon, perfect for planting seeds.

Most of the seeds that I planted last weekend are germinating nicely.  The peppers are a bit slower, they always are.  Basil babies make me dance.  The Roma’s are going to grow up into magnificent peppers for my salsa.

Photojournal for these past two weeks.

I might be a plant seed snob.

My thinking has been that with lower-priced seeds comes lower quality control, less germination etc.  I might be completely wrong.  I saw a large box of inexpensive seeds recently at the local thrift store for a crazy good price and I just could not walk away from them.  Maybe I thought that somehow purchasing cheap seeds would balance out my overpriced seeds that also have come to Red Dirt Farm.

Photos of my stash, ok just a part of my stash.

I also have bulk flower seeds, sold by the pound.  Yes, pound.

I may or may not have a seed hoarding problem.

Oh but the flower dreams I have.  You should see them, fields and fields of blooming zinnias, cosmos, larkspur, sunflowers…

It has been quite some time since I posted about our farmhouse renovation and addition. If you are new to the blog we put an addition on the house after my mother passed away, because after her passing my father asked to come live with us.  We built an in-law suite for him.  Half-way through the process, he changed his mind. Then my husband and I both had significant health issues and we suffered great financial loss. Yes, some four years later we are still working away at it when money and time allow.  The past two weeks Mr. Red Dirt has been working on installing the doors, framing around the doors and windows.  The new windows have a very narrow sill, so we put our heads together and came up with a design to deepen the sill, it will look a bit like a shelf when it is completed. He did a mock-up with 3 brackets for us to see which bracket we liked best, in the end, I think we are going to go with the middle design, which is the simplest and easiest to make.  We also decided to go with the narrower board, it still is adequate to hold plants.  Which is my main goal with the deeper sill.

He also built shelving and rods for two of the closets.  We are still a very long way from completing this renovation/addition, but a little at a time we are getting there.  Trying to be okay with all this as it has unfolded in a way we never thought it would.  Life can be funny like that.

These past two weeks have been busy with more classes and learning how to market my little farming enterprise.  The local chamber of commerce has been quite helpful and even managed to get me connected with another local business and, my eggs are now available at a local restaurant and store.  I couldn’t be happier about that.

Between classes, my days are happily filled with painting, which is something I have wanted to do forever.  It feels really good.  I have to push all the self-doubt and inadequate talk that floats up into my head aside.  Don’t compare I tell myself.

I’ve made greeting cards and flour sack towels from the paintings they make me smile.  People have been quite receptive to them at the farmstand.

A wooden cubby shelf that was purchased at the thrift store, it just seemed I had to paint a little block of cheerfulness for each one.  One by one, I’ve been getting it filled. One block to go.

When I’m not painting, my camera finds the birds, the bluebirds, well all the birds are loving the mealy worms that have been sprinkled in with the seed.  I could be slightly obsessed with taking their photos.

Weird weather continues, some cold no snow and rain.  Thankful not to have the flooding that has been a problem for others.  I see snow in other parts of the country – how about you?  We have daffodils blooming and a few crocus.  How is your garden coming along?

until next time,

xo, kim

9 thoughts on “moon gardening and farm house renovation painting chickens

1. lindasschaub says:

You are so full of energy and creativity Kim … I hope you have fields and fields of wildflowers to sell in your stand and other outlets as well. That’s great you have a restaurant buying those fresh eggs … the marketing course is worth its weight in gold, but I sense your creativity and personality pay a big role in sales as well. I know we have bluebirds in Michigan but I’ve not seen them in my corner of the world – what a treat those mealworms are for them and soon they’ll be raising their own nearby for you to take photos of. Take care.

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh Linda – I”m waking up after a few years of being in a deep dark place, finally able to be creative and do things and not just get by. I hope I have fields of flowers too, you know the old saying to plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow. The marketing courses have all been different and helpful in their own ways. I don’t have the personality at all for selling or marketing, as someone told me once “you are different in person than from how your write”. I don’t think it was a compliment! HA HA Those worms are soooo expensive, but I delight in every penny spent. Happy Day my friend. xo kim

Liked by 1 person

1. lindasschaub says:

Yes, that is right – it means you plant for the future because you have hope and sometimes hope and faith is all we need to keep going. You have had a rough time of it since I’ve followed your blog … this is your time to shine and creating is something you like to do. You know I think your personality is how you write … in my opinion, though I’ve never met you. I think people write like they talk and think – I know I do because a conversational tone is much friendlier and more inviting. That someone was wrong!
        Do delight in them, they are worth every penny because they bring you joy Kim! Enjoy watching Spring unfold … we’ve got a little while to go yet, having dealt with 5 1/2 inches of snow, a layer of ice from freezing rain and a few days of brutal cold … C’mon Spring!

Liked by 1 person

2. KT Workman says:

My parents planted by the moon phases as well, and they always had the best vegetable garden around. My sister, who is an avid gardener, has followed in their footsteps, grows everything under the sun, both foodstuffs and ornamental. Her place is a sight to behold.
    I enjoyed all the lovely pics…especially your paintings.

Liked by 1 person

3. D. A. Squires says:

Gorgeous photo journal, Kim… esp. love the bird photos… FL does not compare w/ northern states for bird lovers, at least in more urban settings. I think bluebirds are increasingly rare, so seeing them close-up is such a treat. And so glad the farm stand offerings can be extended to other locales…fresh eggs, wild flowers and art… a perfect combination. I also think seed hoarding would be easy to succumb to : ) and ‘moon gardening’ makes me smile… an old wives tale that actually works with a dash of romance : )

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh how I love hearing stories of generations following “old farmers” methods. I do believe it puts us closer to nature and how things are meant to be. I wish I could see photos from your sisters place. Thank you for mentioning the paintings. I have felt compelled to learn how to paint for so long… xo kim

4. Donna Campbell says:

Hi Kim, Love all your pictures of the bluebirds and all of the birds. Are those fresh or dried meal worms? They sure love them, will have to try that. I have a bird that guards the feeder and all of the seed. I think he is a mocking bird! Good luck on your addition, I love to see your progress.

Liked by 1 person

5. tonytomeo says:

My great grandparents were aware of how to garden by the phases of the moon (with adjustments for the mil climate), but my great grandfather also observed the landing of airplanes at Mineta Airport. It was simply ‘San Jose Airport’ back then, and there was not so much traffic. The approach of landing airplanes, either from the north or the south, was determined by the direction of the wind up where the airplanes were. Wind direction was rather random at ground level, and mostly seemed to be from the north, even if it wasn’t. It did not help much with long term forecasts, but said something about the short term weather forecast, back before such forecasts were as refined as they are now. Of course, with so much airplane traffic over the area, not many airplanes approach from the north anymore.

6. Debra says:

I love following your photos as a story of your week. I am amazed that you held off painting for so long because it was just bottled up inside you, waiting to come forth! And it’s truly amazing. It’s ok to be a seed hoarder-they will get used sometime I’m sure. I’m happy you have found this creative place to heal from the hard times you went through. Sending you a hug….

Comments are closed.